ACN Latitudes Forums

Wondering what is the range of aggressive rages people are experiencing/observing with pandas? My teen son turned from honor student (now with Pandas) to someone with frequent fits of rage at home some of which can be quite violent and abusive especially when his anxiety is turned up to high and OCD is out of control. With this short fuse a lot of swearing and aggressive language occurs especially with this flare up.

Rage, terror and a low threshold for frustration is a problem for many of the children here. I would rather not rehash those days, but if you search the archives you will find many examples and some good references to help you and your child cope.

Rage can be a major symptom for many with bartonellosis. Bartonella was the cause of our child's PANS reactions - all of them listed in my signiture.

My daughter was raging regularly for months.... now it only happens when she becomes very anxious about something (like talking about going to the dentist) but that doesn't happen very often at all any more. She had/has ODD behaviors also (mostly resolved now).

I'm not really sure what you mean re: "range of aggressive rages"? My dd would hit, kick, scratch, try to bite, kick holes in the door, throw things, write mean notes/letters, stomp around, tell us she hates us, etc. when raging. And then there were the ordinary, oh-so-fun ODD behaviors that would pop up between the rages :(

Bartonella is suspected when raging happens. We haven't found it yet, but my dd's pans doc still thinks it's there.

Raging usually indicates fear from/of something. Without enabling ocd behaviors (which isn't helpful to get in the habit of doing) see if you can reveal the source of his anxiety and try to talk to him about it when the rage is over. My daughter is only 8, so it's a bit harder to get her to express her feelings, but if your son is a teenager you might have some success in dealing with it if you can work on some ERP with him.

When he was really young, hitting, kicking, scratching, biting, head butting, spitting, pinching or trying to. We were able to hold him safely most of the time. As he got a little older and in elementary school, he added swearing to the mix, even though he used some words we know he did not hear from us. Telling us how much he hated us. We were terrible parents.

Haven't seen that level of anger for several years now, thankfully.