At times, patients have gone to physicians with symptoms similar to Tourette syndrome, when the underlying cause of the symptoms was Lyme disease. Lyme has also been linked to some cases of autism (see below). […]
Autism: Research and Resources
Research focused primarily on genetic factors for autism until the past couple of decades when the role of the environment and the immune system garnered increased attention. With the major increases in the incidence of autism, considered epidemic by many, it was clear that the environment, from prebirth through the early years, played a significant role.
Some children with autism appear different from birth, yet about half of children with autism develop the symptoms while a toddler, usually between 1.5 to 3 years of age. Attention has been focused on possible environmental reasons for what is called a “regression” in communication skills, social skills, and cognition (mental functioning).
Environmental factors include issues such as exposure to a virus, seizures, vaccines, and candida or yeast overgrowth as well a number of prenatal factors.
See our article on Recent Research on Dietary Factors in Autism for a selection of recent studies focused on diet as related to symptoms of autism.
Resources for Integrative Approaches
- National Autism Association
- Autism Network for Dietary Intervention
- Autism Research Institute
- Free webcasts and audios from Autism Research Institute Conferences
- ACN Latitudes Forums: Autism
Related articles are shown below. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can search using the box at the upper right of the page or browse our forums.
ACN does not discourage the use of conventional medications as much as it emphasizes the benefits of natural and integrative approaches. However, the number of warnings related to antipsychotic drugs keeps rising, and families need […]
Dr. Melvin Kaplan’s book, Seeing Through New Eyes: Changing the Lives of Children with Autism, Asperger Syndrome and other Developmental Disabilities Through Vision Therapy, was recently released. Melvin Kaplan, OD, an advisory board member for […]
- FREE Weekly Incentive Chart (for Teenagers)
- Your World and You: Tips to Improve Your Family’s Health – Issue 40 (Premium)
- Dr. Albert Mensah: Treating the Root Causes of Anxiety and Depression in Kids
- Answers for Light Sensitivity in Autism, ADHD, and Tic Disorders (Premium)
- Seed, Feed, and Weed to Reverse Inflammatory Disease